- Good because it creates value.
- Ethical because it is based on voluntary exchange.
- Noble because it can elevate existence beyond a subsistence level to achieve full potential.
- Heroic because it lifts people out of poverty.
But in order to remain such, business must evolve. Sisodia suggests a new model of "conscious capitalism" based on the following four tenets:
- Higher Purpose
- Stakeholder Integration
- Conscious Leadership
- Conscious Culture
I plan on working some of this into my upcoming paper for the Faith & Knowledge Conference.
1. See John Mackey, Raj Sisodia, Conscious Capitalism: Liberating the Heroic Spirit of Business (Boston: Harvard Business Review Press, 2013).