Monday, May 12, 2014

WWE - "The Hope of Zion: From Qumran to Utah"




And I just can't see no humor
About your way of life
And I think I can do more for you
With this here fork and knife
Eat the rich

- Aerosmith, "Eat the Rich," Get a Grip (Geffen, 1993)

Zion as a reality plays a major role in my Mormon paradigm. If all things taught in Mormonism are "appendages" to the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (as Joseph Smith taught),[1] then Zion is the social outcome of the Atonement: a community at-one. Hence, my excitement for philosopher Joseph Spencer's forthcoming book For Zion: A Mormon Theology of Hope and my latest post at Worlds Without End. In it, I briefly look at the way various Jewish writings and groups interpreted the covenant found in Deuteronomy 6. The consecration of wealth pops up in various texts, indicating its importance to the covenant. I think it goes well with my previous post about reorienting the purpose of business and the use of its resources.


NOTES

1. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 121.

No comments:

Post a Comment