To break it down even further, a longitudinal survey from the Bureau of Labor Statistics sampled 9,000 young men and women between the ages of 23 and 25 on their educational attainment. The chart below (also prepared by Mark Perry) demonstrates the huge disparity between men and women.
This is true across multiple ethnicities:
- 134 degrees for white females for every 100 degrees for white men
- 193 degrees for black women for every 100 degrees for black men
- 154 degrees for Hispanic women for every 100 degrees for Hispanic men
- 119 degrees for Asian women for every 100 degrees for Asian men
- 149 degrees for American Indian women for every 100 degrees for American Indian men
Men still dominate the fields of business, engineering, math and computer science, and physical science, while women have taken over virtually everything else.
So, congratulations to not only my wife and sister, but to women nationwide.