Tuesday, November 5, 2013

WWE - "The Sometimes Sandy Soil of Doubt & Uncertainty": Humility and Church Leadership


Help to do for me what I can't do myself
Take this fear and pain
I can't break out of this prison all alone
Help me break these chains
Humility now my only hope

- Dream Theater, "The Root of All Evil," Octavarium (Atlantic, 2005).

My new post at Worlds Without End is entitled "'The Sometimes Sandy Soil of Doubt & Uncertainty': Humility and Church Leadership." I look at some of the latest research on humble leadership conducted by Bradley Owens at the State University of New York in Buffalo. While reading one of his articles, I noticed the following in the footnotes: "Exemplars of humility in Judeo-Christian religious texts include Moses from the Old Testament (Num. 12:3), Jesus Christ from the New Testament (Mark 10:45; Phil. 2:7), and King Benjamin from the Book of Mormon (Mosiah 2:17, 26)." I immediately thought, "He must be Mormon." Sure enough, he is. I apply his research on leader-expressed humility's "model of growth" to President Uchtdorf's recent comments in the October 2013 General Conference. Check it out. I even discuss Jim Collins' "Level 5 Leadership" (i.e. personal humility + personal will), which always reminds me of the Gladiator clip below.


No comments:

Post a Comment